Thursday, 19 January 2012

My turning point. . . . .

I mentioned in my first post that some things had happened to let me know it's time to get my life in gear.  One of those "things" was that after carrying around quite a bit of extra weight since my last child (2001), I lost it this summer!  (the weight, not the child)  Now, this wasn't just some easy challenge.  I have struggled with my weight my entire life.  Of course, now I can look back and realize I have been just fine all along (except for the last 10 years.)  That extra 25 pounds weighed on me like a bad dream, day after day after day.  No matter what I was doing and when I was doing it, how fat I was, was always in the fore-front of my mind.  No, my husband never said anything nor did my kids.  But I just knew that my clothes felt uncomfortable.  Nothing I ever did to lose the weight seemed to work for me.  I figured it was because I'm older and my metabolism is slowing down and blah, blah, blah . . . . .  I had a million reasons.  In August 2011, something "snapped" (maybe my underwear elastic!) and I finally found a diet I was willing to stick with.  It was a strange thought process though, because it became more about actually "sticking with this" rather than the pounds I lost.  I felt like if I could see this diet through for the recommended amount of time, that I could do anything.  And guess what?!  I did it!  I never cheated once . . . . okay, once I licked my daughter's rolled taco, but I had to stay strong through two family birthdays, my anniversary, a wedding-party breakfast, and just life!  It was the hardest thing I can honestly say I've ever done and since August I lost 28 pounds and kept it off.  I feel amazing, normal, like my old self again but most important, I feel like I can do anything.  Here are some pictures of before and after.  I must warn you, these photos may not be suitable for all audiences!

I am NOT the one with the blonde ponytail.  Attractive, huh . . . .


Below, I am the girl, not the handsome boy . . . .
Baggy clothes and loose jeans can hide a lot. . . 

Here are the after.  As you can see, I'm not very photogenic; that's why it was difficult for me to find any pictures to post.


Please disregard the "ripped-up-chicken" hair-do!  Oh, and I am the one "without" the stick up my butt."
 
The point is, clearly I am not naturally thin but I knew I could be a better "me" than I was being.  Because I had the determination and the grit to stick with this, I feel like I can do anything, hence, the commitment to keep moving forward and being the best person I can possibly be.  Every day I try hard to remember how empowered I felt by finally taking control of my health, and I work to put that attitude and "stick-to-it-ness" towards all things positive in my life.  You can, too!  Meet me on the other side. . . . . . .

1 comment:

  1. Awesome - Congratulations - You look fantastic!!!

    This is my next task to accomplish because I would LOVE to wear a bikini at least once in my life! And, honestly, things hurt much worse when you weigh more!

    So... is it too rude of me to ask how you did it?

    -Another gal who REALLY is not photogenic :-D LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete